Kevin Mahoney received his B.A., Ed.M and J.D. from the State University of New York at Buffalo. As a member of Tiveron Law’s Family and Criminal Law Departments, Mr. Mahoney regularly assists individuals in a challenging time of their lives. He believes it is his task to calmly offer skilled advice and perspective during what is often a difficult or emotionally charged situation.
In family law, Mr. Mahoney and his colleagues assist individuals with family court proceedings that most commonly involve custody/visitation or paternity and support proceedings. They also help individuals in all aspects of Supreme Court matrimonial proceedings, such as actions for divorce, separation, or those seeking enforcement of a previously entered judgment or agreement (post-divorce issues).
Mr. Mahoney is trained in collaborative law, a process where the parties and their attorneys agree to work together to problem-solve their issues to resolve their case by agreement with an express indication at the outset that Court or adversarial negotiation tactics will not be used.
He is also trained as a mediator and can work with separating couples by acting as a neutral, guiding their discussions, and preparing their necessary legal documents, ultimately resulting in a comprehensive agreement that may form the terms of a future Judgment of Divorce or other Court Order.
Although the majority of cases in the family law arena are resolved by agreement, for those cases where litigation is necessary, our office has in the past and will continue in the future to aggressively bring issues of importance to the attention of the appropriate court to bring about appropriate relief.
A further subset of our family law work may involve child-protective proceedings, family offense cases, and those involving troubled children such as PINS or juvenile delinquency proceedings.
Mr. Mahoney has handled numerous cases in local, state, and federal courts in the criminal law area. Although different, each case required a thorough understanding of an individual’s background and the underlying facts that led to the charge(s) so that the defense was appropriately presented. Time is spent investigating these issues and fully explaining various strategies so the client is informed about the various steps in the case.
He also works in our Emergency Services Department, which assists various companies and individual fire and ambulance personnel with a wide range of issues from bylaw modification and contract review to internal (company level) and external (e.g., DOH) discipline.
Mr. Mahoney is a proud father of two, a former competitive women’s coach in the USA Gymnastics Junior Olympic program, an active interior volunteer firefighter, and is certified as an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT).
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers, Upstate New York Edition, 2008-2009, 2012-2022 – Family Law
- Super Lawyers, Upstate New York Edition, 2023- Criminal Defense
- Best Lawyers in America© 2024- Transportation Law
- New York State, 1997
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- Bankruptcy Court, Western District of New York
- J.D., 1996, State University of New York at Buffalo Law School
- Ed.M in Education, 1995, State University of New York at Buffalo
- B.A. in Political Science, 1992, State University of New York at Buffalo
Professional & Community Activities
- Bar Association of Erie County, MemberNew York State Bar Association – Family Law and Criminal Law Sections, Member
- Western New York Collaborative Law Professionals, Ltd., MemberFireman’s Association of the State of New York, MemberNational Volunteer Fire Council, MemberNew York State Volunteer Ambulance and Rescue Association, MemberNational Association of Emergency Medical Technicians, Member
- Tiveron Law Attorneys are recognized in the 2024 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America®
- Tiveron Law PLLC Attorneys Receive Super Lawyers® Recognition
- New York’s Criminal Discovery Law & First Responders
- Presentation to Emergency Medical Service Professionals
- Congrats to our 2019 Legal Elite of Western NY!
- 2019 Upstate NY Super Lawyers Announcement
- Greater Buffalo EMS Conference
- New York State Passes Progressive Criminal Justice Reform
- Recent Legislation Requiring Fire Company Financial Disclosure Prior to Contract Negotiations
- Congrats to our 2018 Super Lawyers!
- NYSAFC 112TH ANNUAL CONFERENCE & FIRE 2018 EXPO
- Family Law and Mediation Open House
- Lancaster Area Chamber of Commerce
- Podcast: DWI’s
- Good Samaritan Laws (Part 2)
- Pending New York Family Law Changes
- Getting from point A to Point B in Divorce
- How to Draft a “For Sale by Owner” Contract
- Changes to New York Law Impacting Not-For-Profit Corporation
- Recent Increased Penalties for Distracted Driving Pages
- New York DMV Tightens Regulations for Repeat Offenders
- Changes to New York State Vehicle and Traffic Laws Regarding Cell Phone/PDA Usage
- New York State’s “Move-Over” Laws
- Leandra’s Law Expanded
- Variations Between Mediation, Collaborative Law and Traditional Litigation in Family Law and Divorce Cases